Rare Earths

Header-Slider_seltene-erden

Because they were thought to be very rare this group of metals was given the name Rare Earths. Rare Earths are not rare at all, however. The deposit of Cer, for example, is comparable to copper and nickel. The rarest element in this group is Thulium and it does exist more frequently than gold or platinum.

Rare Earths do usually occur in combination with other Rare Earths and the process of separation is costly and complicated. Because the ore also always contains small amounts of the radioactive chemical element Thorium, additional environmental constraints apply.

In general one distinguishes between light and heavy Rare Earths elements. On average 95% of Rare Earths are light, these are Cerium, Lanthanum, Neodymium und Praseodymium. Accordingly, the other 13 heavy Rare Earths make up about 5 %. The worldwide demand for these resources is driven by a need for Magnetic Metals used in technologies of the future like wind power and electromobility. The most common Rare Earths elements used in these areas are Neodymium, Praseodymium, Dysprosium and Terbium.

seltene-erden-periodensystem

TRADIUM provides a broad selection of Rare Earths. For details regarding a particular resource please consult the respective product pages.

Our team would love to help you!

Do you have any further questions or want to place an order? Here you can find the right contact person.